Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

6/25/2013

Pwok and the Dirty Bop

Below is a funny and very descriptive set of weightlifting cues from the current Takano newsletter. This guy is a brilliant coach with a colorful sense of humor( just like yours truly!)

In fact, I'm going to steal some of these descriptions for my own clients. Read and enjoy:


COACHING TIP: Coaching Cues and Secret LanguageAt one point I remember a serious discussion taking place online between two coaches who were arguing whether or not "jump" was an appropriately descriptive cue for coaching the pull. Someone at a recent clinic brought up this argument and asked about this particular cue. Both Pat Cullen-Carroll and myself replied that cues only need to be meaningful to the people using them and don't have to necessarily be accurately descriptive.

As a matter of fact for my team, PHAT Elvis Weightlifting, a lot of our cues may seem cryptic to outsiders, but they serve a dual purpose. Not only are they effective as coaching cues, but they have also become a part of the secret language that my team finds helpful for social bonding and reinforcement. Here's a list of some of them and how I might employ them. All the team members know what I'm talking about even if they're not especially descriptive.

Rutger Hauer: When I say "Rutger Hauer" everyone knows that I'm critiquing somebody's hitch in the pull, that movement that includes a nodding of the head, a pre-mature bending of the arms, and a disruption of the linear pathway of the bar. Rutger Hauer was the lead actor in a movie called The Hitcher so it's just easier to say his name than to go through all the disruptions I see during the pull.

Heelish: as in "That was heelish", meaning the center of pressure was too far back on the foot.

Junichi: This was named after Japanese sport scientist Junichi Okada who used to train with PHAT Elvis. One day he snatched something like 140, and then almost couldn't stand from the deep squat. So a Junichi is when someone is nearly pinned in the snatch.

Kobayashi Maru: This is the no-win scenario from Star Trek. This is usually used in reference to someone who is never going to be much of a lifter. I never call the person this directly, and treat them like all others on the team. Quite often they have other virtues that are helpful.

The dirty bop: This occurs when the hips move forward during the pull and the ankles do not plantar flex, thus causing the lifter to hop forward.

Pwok: The contact of the pubic area and the bar during the pull. This one came from one of my lifters who thought he was an Aztec prince.

Will: A Will takes place when the bar is locked out overhead and then the elbows briefly unlock and then re-lock. Named after one of my current lifters who does this all too frequently.

Chinese unload: I haven't used this one in a while, but it came about as a result of the fact that the only two lifters to do it on my team were Chinese. This involves taking all the plates off of one end of a bar resting in a squat rack until it tips over and crashes to the floor.

Caca Foot: When I say "caca foot", the lifter in question knows that the toes of the rear foot in the split jerk are pointing outward.

Hello Kitty: as in a jerk where the wrists are not allowed to bend backward.

No comments: