Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

10/27/2011

A Seat in the Theater of the Absurd




The recent Kinect sports pack ad made me feel like I was watching Waiting for Godot , it was so absurd. I actually rewound the DVR to make sure I heard what I thought I'd heard. I did.


Here's the line, verbatim, for what sent me right over the edge: "The sports you love- the way they were meant to be played." Really? Golf and soccer were meant to be played in your living room, basement or den? Beach volleyball doesn't require a beach? Track and field doesn't require a track nor a field? Think of all the land we could reclaim from all those unnecessary golf courses.


Don't get me wrong, I'm all for gaming if it really motivates people to get up off the couch and move. But when a company can claim, with a straight face, that their game version of a real sport is superior to the real thing, I just lose it.


Vladimir: We'll hang ourselves to-morrow. (Pause) Unless Godot comes. "Waiting for Godot" Samuel Beckett

No comments: