Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

11/23/2010

Thanksgiving: A Lobster in Every Pot

The only written eyewitness account of the first "Thanksgiving" ( it was actually called a "harvest festival") in 1621 makes no mention of  turkey, but only of "wild fowl", which could have referred to turkey or geese. Other food items not included: white potatoes, sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, and cranberry sauce.

What they most likely had  to eat includes lobster, eel, mussels, pumpkin, squash, dried beans, oysters, collards, spinach, parsnips, grapes, and nuts. Certainly much healthier than what we eat today!

 Although I enjoy turkey, my question is: why didn't the oysters and lobster tradition stick? I think next year I'll build my Thanksgiving menu around the original menu. "Lobster Day."

Anyway, I'm extremely thankful for the health and happiness of all my friends and family.

No comments: