Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

5/17/2011

One Born Every Minute

A sucker, that is. Today my rant is about the misleading advertising surrounding the BowFlex Treadclimber(TM). Now, if the only way you will actually exercise is if you purchase the latest trendy equipment, gadget or program, that's fine. I just want you to be aware of what you're really getting.

I'm not saying the Treadclimber(TC) doesn't work, I just have an issue with the way the product is presented. The ad claims that the TC will help you burn more kcal in a 30-minute period than you would  using a treadmill or stairclimber. Balderdash.

The numbers BowFlex uses in their advertising:

Equipment                       Level                                                        kcal expended in 30 minutes

TC                                   3mph, Level 12                                        321
Treadmill                         3 mph, 9% incline                                    240
Stairclimber                     level 3 (5 METs)                                      191            
Treadmill                         3 mph, 0% incline                                    150

You can see the problem with these figures, right? They're not exactly comparing apples to apples. For example, if I crank up the StairMaster I have at home to level 6 for 15 minutes and level 7 for 15 minutes ( 7.2 and 8.0 METs, respectively), the kcal figure is about the same as the TC.

In the same way, if I speed up the treadmill or increase the incline, I can match the kcal expenditure of the treadclimber. But, I don't use the kcal figures calculated by the machines. They just aren't that accurate. ( This is a subject for another post, but you will get a more accurate kcal estimate if you use your weight in kilograms multiplied by METs.)

The two TCs I researched ( the 3000 and 5000) maxed-out at 4 mph and 12 "intensity" levels, so you see the numbers used above are drawn from the highest intensity level and 75% of the highest speed. Not much room for progression, is there?

Like I stated before, if the only way you'll exercise is by using this product, by all means, get it. Just know what you're really getting.


Stevie Wonder: "I'm an all day sucker, coming to give something to get nothin'"

No comments: