Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

11/13/2014

9 Weeks, No Half

I generally design my own workout routines, but I occasionally incorporate programs designed by others for variety, a special challenge or to experiment with different methodologies.

I just finished Christian Thibaudeau's 915 Program. It's a 9-week ( the "9" in "915"), 5 day/week strength program.

Designed around just four of the major lifts ( squat, bench press, dead lift, and  power clean or  snatch-grip high pull), the program also includes two assistance lifts for each move. For men, Thibs claimed that one could grow 15% stronger ( the "15" in "915") and add 7 pounds of muscle if programmed properly in the time allotted.

Each lift is essentially trained twice per week, with one strength day progressing from 80-105% 1RM and one "speed" day using  around 80-82% 1RM.

If you want the complete details, check out T-nation.com.

My results? While I didn't assess how much muscle I added, I did improve in each of my lifts:

Bench Press: 16% improvement on 1RM ( my poorest lift, so more room for improvement)

Squat: 15% improvement

Dead Lift: 15% improvement

Snatch-grip High Pull: 8% improvement ( looks like my programming here needed tweaking.)

Overall, I am pleased with Thibs' 915 Workout Program and will incorporate it again when I am in a strength-cycle. (Note that you can also substitute an overhead press for the bench press if you want to concentrate on that move instead.)

It's a simple program that can be used by almost anyone, so get your real current 1RM tested ( not your 1RM from 2001) and get cracking!

Contact us at the Fitness Asylum if you need help testing your true 1RM or learning proper form for any of these lifts. Oh, and you can leave your hat on.



Nine 1/2 Weeks(1986)

Elizabeth: How did you know? How did you know I'd respond to you the way I have?

John: I saw myself in you.




No comments: