Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

2/04/2011

Get A Grip

Sticking with the Popeye theme since he does have legendary forearms. Having strong forearms and a strong grip is necessary if one wants to get strong. I may one of the few women in my gym (apart from the firefighters) who train grip and forearm (G&F) strength. One way to train G&F is through the use of fat bars. These bars are 2-3" in diameter, as opposed to regular bars, which are about 1" in diameter. You can jury-rig a fat bar by wrapping a towel around the bar, but there is a slippage and consistency issue. Because fat bars are so expensive ( several hundred dollars), I use a product called fat gripz I first purchased these about 6 months ago when I was suffering from elbow tendonitis. I wasn't about to stop lifting( are you crazy?!), but I needed some relief. I read on the fat grips site about people who were able to continue working out with elbow and shoulder issues. LOVE THE FAT GRIPZ! Their use significantly reduces the amount of weight you can move, so I usually use them on drop sets. They are good for all varieties of curls, triceps cable press downs, dead lifts, military press, pull-ups, rows, and even bench press. Now, a recent study that reviewed unilateral, isometric exercise didn't show any greater forearm muscle activation than a regular bar, but who does isometrics exclusively? I add suicide grip and regular grip reverse and regular wrist curls, wrist roll-ups, towel hangs, plate pinches, kettle bell hangs, Reeve's dead lifts, and plate clocks , farmer's walks, and suitcase lifts as accessory exercises throughout the week. Also, some supination/pronation, and abdcution/adduction moves every now and then. I don't have forearms like Popeye, but I have been told I have "brutish" forearm and grip strength( for a girl!) The real key is, however, that grip strength for pull-ups and dead lifts is much better. Ladies, don't be afraid of the G&F training. After all, you're only as strong as your weakest link.


From Rebecca's IPad

Location:Broadwater Dr,Land O' Lakes,United States

No comments: