Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

1/20/2011

No Kids Allowed?

When I was in 5th grade, my nicknames included "stick" and "toothpick." Also, "pirates' dream" (sunken chest),but that's another story.I didn't like it, so I forced my parents to purchase a plastic,sand-filled weight set from Sears. I pasted the paper exercise chart on my basement wall and got to work.Always athletic,I really got into it.Over the years,I never stopped.I competed in sports throughout high school(golf,tennis,soccer,basketball,volleyball,track&field)and earned multiple full-ride athletic scholarship offers.So? I attribute much of my athletic success to my early weight training.I was 11.And a GIRL! Many parents are afraid to let their kids lift weights,but they shouldn't be. The American Academy of Pediatrics endorses strength training for pre-adolescents. The American College of Sports Medicine(ACSM), the most prestigious group of fitness professionals,supports weight training for children, and has formulated specific guidelines for children and adolescents. The key is to start slowly, with bodyweight exercises emphasizing good form. You should have a fitness professional teach you and your kid proper techniques, and kids should only lift with adult supervision. Weight training helps improve sports performance,helps prevent injuries, and improves overall health.An added benefit, especially for girls, is the significant increase in bone density. Not to worry, your kid won't get bulky. Before puberty,most of the strength gains come from better muscular coordination and activation of more muscle fibers. With proper implementation, weight training is safer than sports participation for kids.A study of elementary through high school-age children showed only 1% of injuries came from weight training, while 19% and 15% came from football and basketball,respectively. Get your kid to drop the Cheetos and Mountain Dew,get off the couch, and start lifting. Mom and Dad should do the same!

No comments: