Scroll down for more

  • SCROLL PAST POSTS for Fitness Programs & Specials

3/30/2011

And It Shows Them Pearly White

Yesterday's post, "Worry the bottle, mama, it's grapefruit wine" on dynamic stretching and movement preparation resulted in a few people asking for some examples to replace the out-moded static stretching they're doing now. The key to an effective pre-workout routine: keep moving, like a shark.

Since I haven't created my own library of You Tube instruction videos ( I'm working on it), I'll "borrow" some from my colleagues. One popular exercise , "the Scorpion," I'm leaving out. I don't like it because, unless you're a contortionist, it puts the body in an unnatural and potentially dangerous position. It also doesn't mimic any sport-specific movement ( maybe MMA if you're getting your butt kicked.). I know you'll probably go look at a video now, just out of curiosity.

Start with this glute-activation move, the marching glute bridge. (Read my series of post on great glutes starting with Top 5 Exercises for Your Bottom) Try to keep the hamstrings out of it as much as possible.

The inverted hamstring stretch should be a "walking" version if you have room. Also, my clients perform it with arms out to the sides, thumbs up.

Knee hug should also be performed moving , if possible. I have my clients pull up from behind the knee to prevent compression.

The lateral lunge is a great move. The lady in this video can go deep! Keep the feet flat( no rolling) and toes pointed forward. Control your torso: no sway or rotation.

The 90-90 stretch (moving) is for the torso primarily. Remember to "fix" the hips and turn from the thoracic spine ( mid-chest level.)

My last example is the reverse lung with twist. Remember, all these exercises  are dynamic. You keep moving; there is no "holding the stretch."

Check out Core Performance , a very well-done site with literally hundreds of  movement prep and dynamic warm-up videos. Or, join us at the Fitness Asylum anytime and we'll teach you everything you need to know!

Remember, make like the shark! We're gonna need a bigger boat.

No comments: